As marketers it is important to meet the needs of both the business and your customer. Never is that more important than around key holidays. It takes finesse and focus to deliver an experience to your customer that is genuine, impactful and helpful while still delivering against those bottom-line requirements of the organization. Holidays evoke emotion; it could be stress, excitement, sometimes even sadness which makes the approach to your messaging critical (Check out the World’s Toughest Job posted by American Greetings a few years back). So what should you consider, specifically, when messaging around these celebratory moments to engage with consumers? It starts with knowing your customer and the role you play in their holiday planning.
With Mother’s Day and Father’s Day approach quickly let’s consider the following:
- Align your messaging strategy with the personal meaning for the holiday. Bring the human element to your messaging purpose by highlighting lifestyle considerations, the meaning and sentiment of the holiday and the role your brand plays in that experience; all in a genuine and sincere tone.
- Keep it simple. Don’t over complicate the message or the offer. When interacting with an email, consumers want an ‘easy experience.’ Don’t make it difficult to interact. Keep calls-to-action succinct and easy to locate – highlighting how you can help them make this holiday one to remember.
- Be flexible. Whether they are engaging at their desk, on the couch with their table or on the train with their phone – make it easy to engage across all devices, wherever they may be. Consider a click-to-call from a mobile phone for those subscribers that have questions for customer service or to place an order via phone rather than online. Leveraging bulletproof CTAs will ensure the text is legible on mobile and to ensure content will render, even when images are off. And, be mindful of the location of your ‘order now’ CTA. Including it in the preview pane helps to drive additional click through rates.
- Bring a sense of community and engagement. Include user-generated content, like customer testimonials, or product reviews to help educate the recipient as to why they should engage with your brand. It means more coming from a community of peers than it does coming from the brand directly. Harness that power. Sharing your value proposition in the voice of your customers can help to cultivate that ‘need to purchase’ emotion. Delivering this via interactive content, like video, can bring it to live even more.
- Be genuine. Talk to them like you know them – make it personal. You’ve earned a moment but it’s not going to last forever. Delivering a personalized and unique experience can increases click-through rates by an average of 250% -- and by as much as 500%.
So, as you’re thinking about your holiday marketing and beyond, remember to captivate the emotion when it means the most.
Download our latest holiday ebook to learn more: