As Bob Dylan sang, the times they are a changin’. This is certainly true in the email marketing space. “The Forrester Wave™: Email Marketing Vendors, Q3 2014” report, which is an evaluation of email marketing service providers intended to gain feedback on vendors and the market, was released last week.
The report cited a number of trends in the current marketing landscape and included a review of nine vendors against 34 criteria, focusing on vendors that support email marketing rather than, or in addition to, a broader set of marketing automation or campaign management requirements. Forrester also conducted 27 client reference phone interviews and fielded an online survey to 89 email marketing client references.
While the report was full of insights for email marketers, below are my top five quotes:
- “The email vendor acquisition spree of the past 18 months made room for different vendors to introduce innovative offerings.”
- “Client references care more about vendor data security, account management, ease of use, and database support than they do about whether the vendor is part of a broader marketing “cloud.”
- “Integration isn’t the only way to make your email programs more effective… Email marketers can capture de novo opportunity if they innovate around email itself.”
- “Few marketers consistently apply email to broader marketing goals like managing changing market dynamics or qualifying leads.”
- And, my personal favorite,
“ITS [EPSILON’S AGILITY HARMONY PLATFORM’S] DYNAMIC CONTENT SCALABILITY, MULTILINGUAL PLATFORM INTERFACE, LARGE INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT STAFF, AND THE BEST OPERATIONS, TECHNOLOGY, AND STRATEGY AND ANALYTICS SERVICES WE REVIEWED MAKE IT A STRONG FIT FOR LARGE GLOBAL ENTERPRISES THAT SEEK A FULL OR COLLABORATIVE SERVICE PARTNER.”